Time-on-Task: 41 hours
Courses may be completed in as little as a few short weeks, or up to 6 months.
Your success throughout your online course experience will be represented digitally within a badge. The badge will show your employers and professional network your qualifications as well as course materials you mastered.
This course prepares you to sit for the certification exam.
The Health Insurance I course is one of five courses comprising the Patient Access Specialist certification program. Students will be introduced to the world of health insurance. The course will review employment opportunities that involve patient access and billing. Students will gain an understanding of basic health insurance information, including an overview of health care reform. In addition, the course will introduce students to the concepts involved in working with managed care contracts as well as the basics of diagnostic and procedural coding.
- Describe the employment skills and requirements in the patient access career field
- Explain the history and types of health insurance available in the United States
- Identify types of managed care contracts and their purposes
- Describe the purpose and guidelines of diagnostic coding and how it affects the billing process
- Describe the purpose and guidelines of procedural coding and its importance in the billing cycle
You want to be engaged as you learn. We get it. We also know engagement is important to true retention and learning. For that reason, each course includes:
- Online course material
- Interactive lesson presentations
- Audio-to-go podcasts
- Personalized study guides
- User-specific pacing charts
- Engaging lesson presentations
- Interactive “Check Your Understanding” exercises/quizzes
Mobile Friendly Experience: laptops, computers, tablets, etc.